The summer months mean time spent in the sun and out on the beach. But it can also mean sun damaged skin and an increased risk of skin cancer. In Boca Raton, Florida, we encourage patients to work with a dermatologist to develop a skincare routine and regimen that protects the skin against sun damage.
Summer skincare tips
Taking care of your skin during the winter months is different than developing a skincare regimen for the summertime. Below are just a few tips and recommendations regarding protection of the skin during these months:
· The most important step to summer skincare is the use of high SPF sunblock. We recommend broad-spectrum products with an SPF rating of 30 or higher. This should be applied on all exposed skin and reapplied every two hours or as directed on the packaging.
· Don’t stop moisturizing the skin during the summer months. Keeping the skin hydrated is important, especially on days of extreme heat and sun exposure. Moisturize the skin year-round to also reduce the production of excess oils.
· Consider the use of a vitamin C serum that can increase collagen production and reduce pigmentation. Regular use of vitamin C serums can significantly reduce the development of sunspots and freckles while brightening the skin and protecting its youthful appearance.
· Exfoliate your skin regularly, at least once a week during the summertime. Exfoliation will remove the top layer of dead skin cells to keep the skin soft and youthful. It can even out the skin tone, too!
· Avoid tanning, as sun exposure can lead you susceptible to sunburn and increase your skin cancer risks. Instead, use self-tanner, tanning drops, or tanning lotions to achieve that desired glow.
Protect your skin from sun damage and increased cancer risks
At the Rendon Center for Dermatology and Aesthetic Medicine, we are committed to ensuring patients have access to solutions for the skin and body that not only provide cosmetic improvements, but ensure overall health and wellness. With proper skincare management, patients can significantly reduce the risk of developing cancer or sun damaged skin. We provide solutions for new and established patients. Our practice is located at 1001 NW 13th Street, Suite #101 and can be reached at (561) 750-0544.