Rendon Center is committed to providing care that is personalized to each of our patients’ needs. The lasers used in our practice each have a designated purpose and specialty laser skin treatment. With your Boca Raton dermatologist, lasers may be incorporated into treatment for unwanted hair, an unwanted tattoo, vascular lesions, facial resurfacing, and more. Dial 561-750-0544 today to speak with our knowledgeable dermatologists and learn more about our laser services!
What Kinds of Laser Treatments are Available?
Some of the lasers used at the Rendon Center include:
- Intense Pulsed Light, called IPL or photofacial treatment, can precisely target imperfections without causing disruption to the skin’s surface. There is no downtime associated with this versatile treatment.
- Sciton Laser Treatments are effective treatments for age spots, small facial veins, acne, rosacea and more. Our practice also offers the HALO laser treatment which is safe for all skin types.
- X-TRAC Laser Therapy has been proven an excellent option for the treatment of psoriasis. White patches on the skin from vitiligo, a condition typically difficult to treat, also respond well to this laser technology.
- Matrix Fractional CO2 is an aesthetic laser treatment through which your doctor can minimize the appearance of lines, wrinkles, effects of sun exposure, and sun damage while promoting the production of collagen. This comfortable treatment takes only about thirty minutes to complete.
- Levulan® Photodynamic Therapy (PDT) is a photorejuvenation treatment used to treat precancerous lesions and potential superficial skin cancers with beautiful results.
- Whisper Erbium Skin Resurfacing improves the skin’s texture while minimizing wrinkles. This gentle technology, which produces only minimal discomfort, swelling, and redness, may also be used to treat acne.
- Medlite Laser destroys pigmentation such as age spots deep beneath the surface of the skin.
- Candela Pulsed Dye Laser, or PDL, uses powerful laser light energy to address vascular lesions with gentle yellow light. Treatment is safe, effective, and virtually painless.
- Candela GentleYAG VR uses highly sophisticated technology. This laser is versatile enough to treat a wide range of conditions previously difficult to manage. This laser may be used in the treatment of loose skin, wrinkles, and small to mid-sized spider veins.
- Light Sheer Diode Laser is the best laser treatment available for laser hair removal.
How Does Laser Skin Rejuvenation Work?
Cosmetic laser treatments work through selective photothermolysis, meaning the device precisely modulates the frequency of light and level of heat to destroy specific cells without damaging surrounding tissue.
There are numerous laser devices on the market, and each is designed to address specific concerns. They do so by emitting different wavelengths of light that are in sync with the cosmetic issue you want to address. Some laser devices remove the top layer of skin (epidermis) to promote remodeling, while others penetrate through it to reach the dermis. These differences are why we recommend specific lasers for different conditions.
Ablative vs. Non-Ablative Laser Treatments
When it comes to laser skin resurfacing, there are two main types of lasers: ablative and non-ablative. Ablative laser resurfacing is the more intense treatment, using a potent wavelength of light to remove the epidermis and heat the underlying dermis to promote collagen production.
This powerful treatment comes with some downtime but can significantly improve everything from skin laxity to acne scarring. The best candidates for ablative lasers have more significant signs of facial aging, extensive sun damage, or deeper facial scars and can take time off to recover.
Non-ablative lasers are less invasive but are still highly effective for many cosmetic issues, including fine lines, acne, pigmentation, and mild scarring. You can typically return to your normal activities right away, though you may have some mild redness or swelling. Our providers are happy to answer any questions about your options and recommend the most effective laser for your skin concerns.
Who Can Benefit From Laser Treatments?
With so many devices available, laser skin rejuvenation can address a broader range of cosmetic concerns than ever before. You may benefit from laser treatments if you have any of the following:
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Age spots (also called sunspots, liver spots, or solar lentigines)
- Rosacea redness and broken capillaries
- Acne scarring and blemishes
- Mild skin laxity
- Precancerous lesions
- Scars & Stretch marks
- Skin Texture Irregularities
- Uneven Pigmentation
- Sun damage
That said, laser treatments aren’t for everyone. If you have a dark or olive complexion, you’re at a higher risk for pigmentation issues or blistering. You may also need to avoid laser treatments if you’ve used Accutane in the past 18 months. If you get cold sores, taking an antiviral medication before your appointment can help prevent a flare-up, but there’s still a risk laser treatments could trigger one.
If you’re not a good candidate for laser treatments, our providers can recommend alternatives that address many of the same cosmetic concerns. For example, microdermabrasion can improve acne scarring, age spots, fine lines, and large pores while stimulating collagen production. It’s also safe for all skin colors. Microneedling is another option to smooth your skin and boost collagen.
How Many Laser Treatments Will I Need?
The number of laser skin rejuvenation treatments you’ll need depends on the results you want to achieve and whether your skin concerns are mild, moderate, or severe. Ablative laser treatments tend to require fewer sessions, with many patients happy with their results after a single treatment.
You’ll generally get more benefit from non-ablative laser treatments if you schedule three to six sessions about four weeks apart. The effects of these treatments are cumulative and gradual since it takes time for collagen production to increase and your skin to remodel. Our providers can better estimate how many appointments you’ll need to see your desired results during your consultation.
"The Rendon Center is excellent. The staff are smart, high-energy, and results-oriented. It’s so refreshing to go to a doctor’s appointment and it’s helpful and you actually see results from their assistance. I give my highest recommendation to Dr. Reed and her nurses. She’s outstanding and one of the best in south Florida in my opinion." M. M.