Being told that you have skin cancer can be a scary time in one’s life. The idea of having cancer in the body can bring patients to feel a wide range of emotions. Fortunately, those who have been diagnosed with skin cancer have options for treatment that can help them address the problem. Skin cancer is easier to spot than other cancers in the body and can be treated with solutions such as excision. One method of removal that is highly recommended for recurring cancers or cancers in visible areas of the body, such as the face, is that of Mohs micrographic surgery. This procedure removes layers of skin to ensure the removal of all cancerous cells with as little destruction of the healthy skin as possible. But before you undergo Mohs micrographic surgery, there are several things you should know beforehand.
Below are five things you should know about this procedure before undergoing treatment in our Boca Raton, FL area practice:
- Provide your doctor with complete health and medical history. This includes supplements, over-the-counter medications, and prescription medications you take on a regular basis.
- Ask about post-operative care. Arrange transportation and help at home after your procedure, and make sure you have everything you need on hand to avoid unnecessary trips to the store after the procedure.
- Prepare to wait. The procedure is done in stages with an on-site laboratory, which can leave some patients waiting to go in for their procedure or spending extensive time in the office having the treatment performed.
- Know the side effects of the procedure. Patients may experience bleeding, bruising, and swelling in the treated area. This is normal and will usually subside on its own.
- Obtain contact information. In the event of any issues or concerns after the procedure, it is a good idea to ask the team of professionals who you can call about any problems that may arise post-op.
Find out more about Mohs micrographic surgery!
If you reside in the Boca Raton, FL area and want to speak to a professional about your upcoming procedure, connect with our doctors by calling the Rendon Center at 561-750-0544 and scheduling an appointment. We are open to new and established patients and can help you through your journey with skin cancer to find effective treatment solutions to bring you closer to remission.